Monday, September 26, 2011

TD Bank Mayor's Cup: And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a...

...downed rider.  And with the free lap rule having expired, that's how road season 2011 ended.  Five minutes earlier than expected, in a pileup.

And you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?  Several events, both strange and awesome, led to the pileup.  Starting with the awesome, I got to race Mayor's Cup with a really fast Canadian team, P-K Express/HNZstrategic.com.  The team arrived in Boston the night before the race, and director Chris gave me some pointers on how to overcome my pack-shyness for the race.



The next day, the 60-minute crit started at a fast pace, and I held the pack positioning we had discussed. A few laps into the race though, the pace slowed and the pack would string out and then bunch up.  I knew where to be and had the fitness to get there, but I didn't have the confidence or pack skills to stay put.  I kept moving up to the front when things would get fast, then when we slowed and bunched up, I'd give my spot up too easily.  Sue was at the front in good position.  With three to go, the pace picked back up.  Finally comfortable in the pack, I charged to the front.  Coming around to the start with two to go, a rider hit something in the pavement (I think?) and went down.  Others in front of me piled on, and my life flashed before my eyes.  Luckily part of that life included the team CAWES crashing drills, so I did a well-rehearsed tuck and roll, landing unscathed in a pile with the likes of Kacey M, Lindsay B, and several other amazing riders.  And although crashing sucks, I was proud to be even a measly schmear of mayo in that talent sandwich.  Luckily everyone was able to walk away, but I ceremonially stopped my timer, pronouncing Road Season 2011 officially dead.  Meanwhile, with no teammates left, Sue single-handedly took an amazing 9th place, outsprinting last year's race winner.

So, with much of 2011 lost due to illness, unconsciousness, flooding, and other mishaps, it seems fitting to have lost those last five minutes of Mayor's Cup.  Same as it ever was. 

Packing up for the race.  Jade was already warmed up for the children's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment