Thursday, July 5, 2012

Parkesburg Crit: Free Ponies to a Good Home

A quick preride got me very excited about the course's climbing.  After yesterday's frustrating race, I was ready to put the hurt on myself and/or other people, whichever came first.  The hurt came on quickly, as Team Pure Energy attacked from the gun.  The pace started to slow on the second lap so I attacked on the climb to keep the hurt coming.  This seemed like a great plan until Pure Energy's next rider attacked right when I was recovering.  Oh.  We never caught her, and we settled in to battle it out for second.  I felt good after recovering for a few laps.  Then with one to go, I did that thing that everyone does once: I thought it was the last lap and I had won the field sprint. Some riders came by a few seconds later, and I chuckled at how hard they were going on their recovery lap.  I rolled triumphantly all the way around the course before realizing I had screwed up.  Oh.  

So here's the thing: I'm really pissed at myself.  The kind of pissed that might be justifiable for mistakes that really matter, like health safety and welfare stuff.  And here I am pissed over a bike race.  There are people who don't have bikes to race, let alone cars to get to the race.  I fumed about it all the way home in my fancy car (fancy as in, it exists) and then threw all my ponies in the trash.  I will probably take them out in the morning when I realize there are people who don't have ponies to throw in the trash, but they're spending the night there dammit!  Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go pout like a big baby.

In related news, if anyone knows of a good home for a whole lot of toy equines including but not limited to ponies, horses, and unicorns, please contact me ASAP. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. may the ponies ride from the trash to ride again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the cool kids this year have sprinted on the wrong lap...just ask Coyle :) Seriously, it happens to the best of us. And at least you didn't cut all the hair off your ponies in case you take them back in the morning...no one likes a bald pony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys. My recent turn to anti-ponyism isn’t actually because I’m super-pissed or giving up or anything, but rather the opposite. When I first started racing I had this propensity for throwing tantrums. My teammates nicknamed me “princess” and gave me all these ponies as gag gifts. I’ve recently been better about not throwing tantrums, but Ashley witnessed one on Tuesday night, and last night I got more than a little ticked at myself. Being a total baby isn’t cute anymore, so I need a new mascot, something less cute and princessy. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete