Thursday, September 13, 2012

Another in-your-face, season-ending race result (!!)

OK, I realize that a DNS isn’t a very hard-hitting result for the last effort of 2012 (and for the record, I did actually “start,” twice).  It was literally quite soft-hitting.  I pulled a typical Wander at Ernie Simpson Time Trial, but I still managed to wake up the next morning like, “Booyah, I showed up to my last race of 2012!  In your face, losers!”  Here’s how this gloriously soft-hitting season-ender happened:
 
While warming up I broke a cleat and couldn't clip in.  I continued to warm up barefoot while a friend jury-rigged it, cautioning that I could only clip in one time before it would fail again.  Uh oh, I don't know how to unclip with the other foot, so this resulted in a low-speed crash at the starting line, right in front of some of the same officials who have seen such awesome performances as Parkesburg.  Whatever, the soft landing didn't hurt, and I lost my sensitivity to embarrassment at some point last year.  So I took off, and my perfectly executed rest week definitely helped my leg flail extra violently when it came unclipped from the broken cleat.  I didn't crash this time, but tried once more before calling it on Racing Season 2012.  Ho hum.  I went back to the car and ceremonially absconded another toy unicorn in the possession of a new owner, while she was busy winning.  Closure on 2012?  You betcha.  Time to recover and get ready for off-season training.
 
Ok I think I’m ready.
 
2012 Racing facts and outrageous claims:
Stupid Mishaps: 7
Concussions: 0
Money spent on fancy cycling goods and services: Less than last year.
Mental blowouts: Greater than 0 but fewer than last year.
Good individual results: A few.
Good team results: Many.
Did bike racing save the world this year? Again, nope.
Did training help to manage my insulin this year? Probably.
 
Despite the mishap, the beautiful course was worth the trip
 

No comments:

Post a Comment