Friday, June 17, 2011

Tour of Somerville: Racing at 90% errr...9% is ok

I have a friend who always says he wants to race, but that he’s not feeling 100% at the moment. He hasn’t raced in 3 years. For me, racing can only be at maximum form a few times a season, and the rest of the time I’m building up to or winding down from a planned peak. And even the planned peaks can only reach the ultimate zenith of maximum peaktastic real ultimate power if non-training things are going smoothly too: work, health, finances, personal life, etc. So when I was up to my ears in crises, both real and perceived, I couldn’t be a hypocrite and skip Somerville, right? Errr…right? No seriously, I’m really not sure it was a good idea, but whatever, I schlepped by phlegmmy self over to Sarah’s, and Sarah patiently listened while I whined about personal problems all the way to the race.

We got there and I remembered that everyone races with issues; half the field was bandaged up from crash at Kelly Cup, and our teammate Arley Kemmerer was on a neutral bike due to bottom bracket woes. I forced myself to the start line and tried to keep it together.

(Kelly Cup crash)

Result: Meh. My first NRC-esque (Somerville lost NRC status this year) race was not nearly as fast as I had hoped. Team Colavita’s teamwork controlled the pace, presumably saving their team’s amazing sprint power for the finish. Meanwhile, the pack kept stringing out and then bunching up, causing weenies like myself to take the windy route up the side, then get immediately spit out the back. It’s a repeating cycle, but I didn’t have the mental wherewithal to challenge myself to stay in the middle. As the pack jockeyed for the final sprint, I took my usual wussy path along the outside, burning precious matches and taking 13th place, far behind Theresa Cliff-Ryan's fantastic sprint for the win. I’m frustrated that I couldn’t push myself more, mentally or physically, but I finished in the money and got 2 important reminders:

1. 1. 1. Everyone races while compromised.

2. 2. 2. Pack handling can be a bigger limiter than fitness

So to conclude, I think I need to get my head out of my ass and remember that I don't have to be at my absolute best to race. Next time I should just listen to this important advice about getting pumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment