Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Risk/Reward Ratio of Racing

 (The pack closing in at Liberty Crit)

"Risk = Reward" is one of several assumptions this racing season has called into question.  My fixation on risk-taking started from the admiration of my teammates' abilities bury themselves in a race, often achieving the team's goal in the process, and even in cases of failure, making the race exciting and getting a great workout.  Our friend Jess describes this as "going until you can't breathe anymore."  It was time for me to stop sitting in the pack and learn how to take a risk.

1. Risk = Reward.  The first attempt was Tour de Toona Stage 2.  By the time we finished the mountain climb, I had finally gone to the "can't breathe" place.  The result was a great stage finish and GC standing.

2. Risk = Loss, Pain, And Your Mom Having To See You Unconscious.  Here's the result of deciding to finish Toona Stage 3 in spite of a suspicious tire:


3. Risk = Booze?   After my recovery, CAWES raced Liberty Crit, and I buried myself off the front for 5 laps before being caught.  The goal was to wear the pack out for our sprinter, or to stay away til the finish.  I obviously failed on the latter, and I don't think anyone was worn out except me.  Becky and the team had a great sprint anyway, and I got nine zillionth place and a zinfandel prime.

 (Sarah, Ky, & Becky executing the perfect leadout train at Liberty)

 (We consumed the booze prime later at Rob's pool)

4. Risk = More Time Off The Bike.  Finally cleared to ride again, I went out for a morning workout and was hit by a car (thanks to Lance for stopping and helping!).  Another helmet broken and another bonk to the gourd, but I did earn the nickname "Dome Destroyer" or "Double D" from the team.  Alarmingly, that puts me just one D short of being this guy.

So, if cycling is a risk, the only wisdom I can glean from this racing season is Risk = Reward Risk. And in terms of injury recovery, When one door closes, another one opens closes too.  Some friends from QCW Cycling have also been hit at Memorial Hall recently, and it sounds like it might not be a safe place to ride in the mornings.  You know what they say: Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man woman healthy injured, wealthy lacking a helmet, and wise concussed.  Translated into jive: See a broad who get all booty-eyed, lay'em down and smack'em yack'emWell, I'm looking forward to the team laying the smack down in some late-season races.  Hopefully my booty will be better by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment