Saturday, July 9, 2011

South Jersey & Rodale Crits

After the weekend's sprinterly races, I think it's safe to declare myself in need of A) the balls to take a risk in a race, and B) an 11-cog on my cassette. Since the weekend I've acquired one of those items. As for the other, I should probably mind my previous post and stop associating brave behavior with a specific gender.

Anyway, the weekend started out with stage 1 of the South Jersey Omnium, a 6-corner crit around Seneca High School. Teams CAWES, Kenda, and Sturdy Girls had the most representation in the pack. Stacey Jensen of Kenda worked hard to keep the pack on the rivet and string things out. The Wasabi Warriors' own Sarah Iepson drilled it on the last lap, keeping things fast and preventing any funny business from happening in the field sprint. I took 3rd and Becky 5th, while Kenda's amazing sprint power secured 1 & 2. I was impressed with the teamwork of both teams in green, and excited to keep working on my sprint. Sarah, Becky, and I took our winnings to a south jersey farmer's market and bought all sorts of plants and veggies.

(Our South Jersey spoils shared the back seat with the Green Weenie)

On Sunday, Arley and I rolled up for the Rodale Fitness Park crit in Trexlertown. The smooth, banked up loop had a gentle roller and no legitimate corners. Team Type 1 launched some strong attacks at the front. I tried to work in a break, but it didn't get away and/or my usual timid attacks weren't enough to get away. This was going to come down to a field sprint, with a lot of powerful sprinters.

Ironically, the corner-free course seemed to lead to a sketchy pack, because there weren't any technical elements to slow down the non-technically skillful riders. As the final jockeying began, the pack swerved from side to side, and I launched off of Arley's wheel, then off of a zillion others who were shuffling around in the sketchiness, finally coming in behind Christine Fennessey for 2nd place. The smooth course had me wishing for a bigger gear as I spun out in my 53/12. I guess there's a first time for everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment