Monday, May 7, 2012

Tour of the Dragons 2012

While Battenkill was all about learning new racing vocabulary, Tour of the Dragons was more of a visual experience:

consenting adults I suppose...
1. The Rainbow Coalition
We experimented with how many riders we could fit into a small Vermont motel room.  Representing 3 teams, 3 cities, and 4 religions (and yes, uncomfortable religious discussions were had) we spent most of our recovery time giggling,  tire- and cassette-changing, and trying to combine the acts of napping and eatingAll this experimental-polychromatic-kumbaya was dropped when we were racing though, and we focused on our own team pursuits.

2. The Pink Train Pink Nightmare!
Stage 1/Time Trial: Having finally gotten a bike tune-up and a new chain, I had no excuses but to do my best, landing 9th place.  Our teammate Beth laid down an incredible 28:52, beating last year’s winning time and taking 2nd place.

Stage 2/Crit: I spent the first half of the crit scared out of my gourd and cowering at the back.  Finally something clicked for me, and I moved up to join the "Pink Train" as we were deemed by the announcer.  We worked hard at the front, and Jenny took 3rd in the sprint finish, securing the second Farm Team podium of the weekend. 

Stage 3/Road Race: The first climb split the group up, and the yellow jersey soloed away.  4 QOM climbs later, we settled in for the sprint that would decide second and third place.  I moved to the front to help our GC rider, but my nerves got the best of me and I was squished to the back.  The rest of the Pink Train was unaffected by such squishing, and Beth secured 3rd place in the road race, and 3rd in the final GC. 

Weekend Metrics:
Miles: 94
Feet climbed: 4500
Farm Team podium appearances (Beth and Jenny): 4
Number of times I was mistaken for a junior and told my gearing was illegal: 1
Number of times Ky was fed ice cream by a stranger: 1
Servings of ice cream I fed myself: 7
My own GC place: No idea
Number of times I thought about quitting racing: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment